Wednesday, September 15, 2010

NIA Student Spotlight- Meet Amyrain

Amyrain...What do you love about NIA?
I've taken bellydance, hiphop, african dance and yoga, but NIA is the perfect conglomerate of all of these. I've always had an aversion to dieting and exercise because I love food, hate restrictions and workout clothes tend not to be my most flattering. NIA is great for me because it doesn't feel like the Richard Simmons videos I grueled through in my chubby youth. It feels like a moving meditation. I always leave class feeling more balanced, grounded and confident in my body. Unlike some larger dance studios, the women who attend NIA are so nice and welcoming. I work for SARSSM, The Sexual Assault Response Services of Southern Maine and NIA is an invaluable facet of my ability to face trauma and non-profit work everyday.

What brings you joy?
After class you can spot me at the farmers market, on First Friday Artwalks, or in the cat section of the grocery store buying treats for my furry family. I'm also an avid tarot geek. I've been studying the cards for over 5 years and do readings at coffee shops. Here's my tarot blog: http://deliciousfemmefortunes.blogspot.com

What would you like us to know about yourself?
This September you can see me on stage at the St. Lawrence in The Femme Show! We are a sexy and smart performance art show that celebrates queer femme identity. This year the Portland Show will highlight my monologue titled: "Are You High Maintenance?!" And an all-new Femme Show debuts in Cambridge, in October. Take the Downeaster down and come see both! Check us out at: http://www.thefemmeshow.com/blog/

More about the NIA Student Spotlight:
I have been thinking about ways to connect our amazing women in the Nia community for a long time. Every class there is an instant buzz when people meet or reconnect before class. When we are in circle, we share a bit about ourselves. So I have created a montly platform for sharing. If you have a story to share and would like to let the NIA community know a little more about you, then consider the spotlight. Looking for my October member.... Interested?All you need to do is answer these 3 questions and email them to me along with a picture of yourself to:
maggie@dancenia.com

1. What do you love about Nia (what have your learned about your body's way)?
2. What brings you joy?
3. What would you like us to know?

namaste, Maggie

Maggie Bokor
Certified Blue Belt Nia Instructor
www.dancenia.com
207-899-5939

No comments: